Pages

Wednesday 10 April 2013

A sad day

I had some sad news yesterday.
A friend of mine from church passed away.

I've known Ken for a good few years. He is a remarkable man, and had led an interesting life. The stories he used to tell always had that element of is he telling me the truth. I'm sure that some of them were exaggerated but, whether they were or not, it was always fun listening to him tell them to you.

Before I transitioned Ken always used to wind me up if he could, with him around there was never ever the chance that I would get too full of myself. Although his face would be very serious you knew that he was enjoying seeing your reaction.

After I transitioned I didn't see him as much, between me not going to church for a while and him being unwell for a time we were never in the same place at the same time as often as we used to be.

Ken was also one of the first people to talk to me when I did go to church after I transitioned. Our chats weren't as playful as they used to be but there was always a sense that here was someone who cared about others and would go out of his way to help them and show them friendship.

In the last year I realised just how special a person and a Christian he was. If I am ever half the person that he was then I'll think myself lucky and be very happy.

I'm going to miss him and our chats. The world has lost an amazing, caring person and seems a little bit darker today.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenna,

    If you count both yourself and Ken as true believers in Jesus Christ, then you have only a very short time left before you will see each other in heaven in your new glorified bodies. Won't it be a glorious day for all of us Christians when we get to meet each other and share our love and devotion to God and His Son Jesus Christ!

    Remember all of Kens' wonderful traits, and if you haven't already, emulate as many as you can, as good traits seem to be fewer and farther behind than they used to be.

    Hugs and prayers,

    Cynthia XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cynthia,
      Thank you for your wise comments.
      Ken's funeral is next week and although I've got something on in the morning I'm determined to be back in time to go to it. It's the least I can do to mark the passing of such a wonderful person.
      When I spoke to our vicar's wife in the week she mentioned that because the funeral will be on a week day then a lot of people might not be able to make it. As its on a Friday I think there might be quite a few people there. I know that there are going to be a couple of people going who don't attend the church now whose lives he has touched.

      Thinking about what made him so special and trying to emulate those traits is going to be a nice way to remember him better. Thank you for the suggestion.

      Delete