Pages

Saturday 13 April 2013

30 Days of Trans - Day 12

Day 12 - What are you doing to stay healthy for transitioning mentally and physically
Saturday 13th April

The main things that I do to stay mentally and physically healthy while transitioning are keeping fit and doing things I enjoy doing.
I go swimming, running and cycling as I take part in triathlons. I also go to the gym with my son so that he gets the chance to keep fit and work on building up some muscles.
When I'm not doing sport then I work on my burlesque, that has helped with building up my confidence levels and also my awareness of body movement and posture. Working on routines and even performing them has taken me out of my shell. Doing drama improvisation work has helped me to overcome some of my natural shyness, especially when it involves slipping into my burlesque alter-ego who does the things that I find difficult to do.
Other than that I have my job which is mentally stimulating and is in a supportive environment so it helps me to deal with things because I can't allow myself to mope around and dwell on anything negative or unhealthy while earning a living.
The last thing I do is to get out and do the things I'd normally do. Every time I go out the door and manage to do ordinary things without getting an adverse reaction helps to keep me mentally strong for my transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment