Pages

Tuesday 9 April 2013

30 Days of Trans - Day 8

Day 8 - How do you deal with being read mis-genderd in the beginning of transitioning by people?
Tuesday 9th April

How I deal with being mis-gendered by people depends on who it is that is mis-gendering me.
If its someone in a shop or restaurant then I'll ignore it but unless there is a very good reason for me to use that shop or restaurant then I wont go there again.
If its family then I bite my tongue and ignore it as much as I can because I've had long enough to accept that I was born the wrong gender and that I'm now living as the gender I always should have been. Other family members haven't had as long to get used to the idea and so I cut them as much slack as I can because it is with their love and support that I am able to do what I'm doing.
Eventually though the time will come when I have to correct them and ask them to make a bit more of an effort to get it right.
For anyone else that I know then I give them a chance but will eventually correct them if they get it wrong. Fortunately to date I've not had to do that as most people get it right, where they get it wrong then it tends to be just a slip up and when they realise what they've said they usually apologise.

No comments:

Post a Comment