Pages

Sunday 21 April 2013

30 Days of Trans - Days 18 to 20

I've let a couple of days slip by. Friday was a bit hectic as I had to travel to Exeter for a laser session and then go to Ken's funeral in the afternoon.
Saturday morning I was out running and then in the afternoon we had a family trip to Ham Hill for ice cream and to fly my son's remote control helicopters, sadly it was too windy for us to be able to control them enough to get them to fly where we wanted them to.
Sunday morning was a long bike ride, managed 41 miles in just under 3 and a half hours. That included being cut up at one point by an idiot in a car who wanted to do a U-turn and decided to pull over to the side of the road about 5 yards in front of me. They then proceeded to reverse back towards me because they'd overshot the place where they could do the turn. Fortunately the rest of the ride was less eventful.

Anyway, here's three days worth of question responses.

Day 18 - How do you feel about the trans laws where you live
Friday 19th April

I'm OK with the laws in the UK. We have laws that protect people from what comes under the term hate crime, employment regulations protect people from discrimination on various grounds including gender.
Other than that I don't really know what laws there are that are related to being trans.


Day 19 - If your religious how do your views effect being trans if your not religious what about your family religions
Saturday 20th April

Well I'm definitely religious. I'm a Christian and part of the congregation at a Church of England church.
My religious views don't effect y being trans. For as long as I've been attending church I've been dealing with being trans. When I decided to transition I did go through a period where I struggled with my relationship with God but I've worked through that.
I don't see being trans as being in conflict with my religion. The Bible doesn't specifically say that being trans is wrong. God made each and every person and made them the way he did for a reason. He made me trans for a reason. I'm not sure what that reason is but I know that one day I'll find out. Perhaps transitioning is not what God intended for me, perhaps he wanted me to struggle with it all my life. Its not happened that way.
Perhaps God wanted me to transition at the right time because being trans and having transitioned to being female full time has a purpose to it. I'm not sure what that purpose is but since about a year before I transitioned my confidence levels have been growing. At one point I wouldn't have contemplated taking on a role at work where I would be visible to the wider world. Now I don't see that as being a problem. Perhaps being trans and a Christian is something that I've got to be because its something that the wider Christian church needs to be more aware of and more accepting of.
Heck, between being trans and also a burlesque performer I'm certainly not your standard Christian. Perhaps people need to learn is that Christians are not what you might think and that they can be kind, loving, caring and compassionate, believe deeply in God and also be what you might not expect.
I posted about a friend who passed away recently, he was a remarkable man. His funeral was last Friday. As I sat there listening to another friend from church telling everybody at church about his life and the things that he had gotten up to I found myself thinking that if he could do the things that he'd did to help people, then I can do things to help others within the trans community and within the wider community.


Day 20 - Do you want to be a parent why or why not
Sunday 21st April
I'm happy to say that I am parent to one of the most caring, brave young men that I've ever known. My son has been through so much in his 15 years. He's had to be extremely brave and has dealt with things due to his leukaemia that most adults will never ever deal with during their entire lives. I am so proud of him. Being a parent is one of the things that I am so glad that I did. If I never ever achieve anything else in my life then I can at least say that I raised him.

No comments:

Post a Comment