Monday, 3 January 2011

Review of 2010 - part 2

A busy month which saw my first appointment with the psychiatrist. After an hours chat I left with the instructions that I had to tell my family of my plans. My sister was the first to find out at the end of the month.

I also had a meeting with the HR department at work as the one person who had any proper experience of someone transitioning was a temp and was leaving in April. Fortunately I managed to talk to her and she was able to put things in place to support me before she left as our HR department didn't really know what they needed to do. Their last attempt to help someone through transition has been a bit of a disaster.

April also saw me take part in the Grizzly which was the best fun I'd had running in ages. Mud, water, pebbles, very steep hills. Bliss

Nearly half way through the year and I found myself with some time to myself. An entire week.

At the beginning of the month I took part in my first triathlon of the year. A short one that is held near my sister-in-laws. It was a nice weekend away for us all and a chance for me to see how my training was going.

At the end of the month I journeyed to Wales to see my parents and tell them my plans. This was the chat I was most worried about because I desperately wanted their support. After a few problems with actually catching them at home I was able to sit down with them an explain what I was doing. They took it incredibly well although its taken a bit of time for it to sink in properly. The entire day was a fantastic one as I was able to stop off on the way back and do some shopping at Cribbs Causeway and then go for a hair appointment with Lou.

The final thing that happened in May was that I had a visit from Sam. He came to lunch and stayed for the afternoon and we had a lovely time. Sam is really special, he's been a friend when I needed one. I'm glad that we eventually managed to meet.

During July I met up with my point of contact in the HR department at work and while I was there showed her some pictures of me. L was really complimentary. I can't wait until she sees the latest ones that I had taken. She's going to be blown away.

July also saw what was probably the biggest blow I had throughout the entire year. For the majority of last year I was training to take part in the first running of the Outlaw Triathlon, an Ironman distance race. At the beginning of July during one run I pulled up with a very painful knee. I saw a physiotherapist as soon as I possibly could and after discussing things with her pulled out of the race. At least the experience of training for the race gave me the experience I needed for the next time I race so that I don't make the same mistake of underestimating the amount of effort I need to put it.

No comments:

Post a Comment