Pages

Friday 13 June 2014

What to bring

When I go to Brighton next month and see Mr Yelland I'll be discussing the chest reconstruction that I need to have. After receiving the appointment details I started thinking about what I might need to take with me. Will I need a sports bra or something in order to work out what size implants I need? With that in mind I emailed his secretary to ask.
The response I got back was that he would discuss sports bras with me at the appointment, all I needed to bring with me was an idea of how I want to look. So between now and then I have to give some serious thought to my body image, in particular how I want my breasts to look.
So do I want something understated or something that is going to have the guys talking to my chest rather than my face, something that did happen once and I found quite funny.
Time to put my thinking cap on.

3 comments:

  1. I have spoken to a few recently who have had BA or are about to and they have used to bag of rice method to determine the size of their implants. You weigh out what you think you want and then carry it around in your bra. This demonstrates the size you want and what it will feel like carrying it around. The weights being discussed were between 350 and 450 grams each side.

    Were you aware that following discharge from Brighton, you will have to wear a sports bra 24 hours a day for 4 full weeks!

    Best of luck in this, combining GRS and BA is a courageous move and I hope it work out for you :)

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy,
      I'd heard of the rice method but haven't tried it. I have a good idea of what size I want as the breast forms I was using are big enough to fill a C cup so I'm aiming to go for about that size. It fits my body shape without being too large. I'll probably take them down with me so that I can give Dr Yelland an idea of what I'm aiming for.
      I was pretty happy with that size and the weight of them wasn't too bad.
      I didn't realise that you had to wear a sports bra 24 hours a day for 4 weeks. Wow! I did know that you had to wear one though.
      Combining GRS and BA wasn't my choice really, its just the way that things have played out. If I had my own way I'd have them separately but it might be simpler to get everything done and out of the way in one hit rather than having to be off for two periods, one for GRS and one for BA.
      If it ends up being a one hit things then I hope I don't end up regretting it.

      Delete
    2. I had assumed that they combined the two as I have some detailed notes here about the GRS procedure, and it mentions BA at the same time at the end. Whether it does happen is another matter, but if they are willing to do it, then that means it is survivable!

      Best of luck with the sports bra for 4 weeks, that's what makes me grimace the most. I can deal with the future dilation and stuff, but a bra for that length of time, hmm...

      Delete