Pages

Thursday 3 May 2012

LifeCircle 2012 - Dealing with your comfort zone

Life Circle

The latest task for the Life Circle was to look at areas where we were struggling and to do something that would take you out of your comfort zone and help get those areas moving forward.

There are two areas that are causing me lots of problems at the moment.
The first of these is my burlesque and the second is my fitness.

At the beginning of this year I went to the intermediate classes to learn to fan dance. I went to 5 sessions, with the 5th being a final practice before the Valentine's Cabaret. With hours to go to the show, and actually being in Bristol and 5 minutes from the venue, everything went wrong because I had a problem with the car window and so couldn't leave the car unattended for the best part of 7 hours. All of the effort learning the routine so that I could perform it with the others ended up being for nothing.

Burlesque
My problems with my burlesque fall into 3 areas.
The first is that getting to Bristol in order to attend classes is time consuming, its an hours drive each way.
The second is that finding the time or space to practice is difficult. The only place I can practice at the moment is at home in the kitchen which is the room with the biggest amount of space. With the family around having the time and privacy to practice and work on routines is limited.
Finally, my other big problem with my burlesque is that as much as I would love to perform more I'm finding that performing in the Pink Kitten shows is something that I'm happy to do as I know the other performers. Performing in other shows I'm more nervous about because I'm lacking the confidence that people would want to see me perform and enjoy my performance.

My challenge is therefore
Short to medium term:
To put in about 2 hours practice a week, either as long sessions or a series of short sessions.
To work on developing 3 fan routines.
  • Small, marabou fan dance to Claire Teal's Messin' with Fire
  • Silk veil fan dance to The Puppini Sisters' Moon River
  • Large feather fan dance to Charles Trenet's La Mer

I've thrashed out the basics of the first two routines and the third one is going to be a variation on the routine that I learnt for the Valentine's show but as a solo routine rather than a group routine.

Long term:
To perform one of these routines (Moon River) at the Pink Kitten Halloween show.
To perform at least once to a non-Pink Kitten audience by the end of the year.

Fitness
The main problem I have with my fitness is that I just don't seem to have the motivation to do exercise. I'm really struggling with this at the moment as I'm paying for gym membership and not using it. I seriously need to start doing something.
When I've been to the gym so far this year its been more as my old self and not the new me. No make-up, gym clothes as unisex as possible, hair pulled back. The other day we made an appointment for my son to have a session with one of the instructors so that he could be shown how to use a couple of the weight machines. He's old enough to start using these now.
As the appointment was at lunchtime I had to come from work and so for the first time ever I went into the gym as Jenna. Ok, I was just standing around and watching my son being shown how to use the equipment and not exercising myself but it was a first step. The ground didn't open up and swallow me, nobody commented or stared.

I want to improve my fitness so that when I eventually get around to working towards some of my other sporting goals then I don't have to start from scratch.

My challenge is therefore to get to the leisure centre twice a week, once to use the gym and once to use the pool. Any other sessions will be a bonus. At a minimum I need to have been to the gym and pool 8 times over the course of a month.

The other challenge I'm going to set myself, which I want to achieve by the end of April is to have gone out for a run, the 3 mile loop I use will be enough, while wearing mineral foundation and some basic eye shadow and lipstick so that I can see if it will stand up to some serious exercise. If I can achieve that and the make-up doesn't look a mess when I've finished then I can look at setting myself the challenge of going to the gym and exercising properly as Jenna.

Late breaking news:
I've entered the Bristol Half Marathon on the 30th September so I now don't have an excuse for not doing some proper training outdoors throughout the summer. I've picked up a copy of Run Less Run Faster which requires you to do 3 days running each week and 2 other days of cross-training (swimming, cycling). I'm actually going to aim for 3 days of cross-training (2 days of swimming for about 30 minutes and one day with a cycle ride for an hour). My goal is to complete the race in under 2 hours which would be similar to my personal best for that distance. I'm also going to be raising money for CLIC. Still debating the possibility of running in fancy dress!

Even later breaking news:
I went out for a run on Sunday (29th April) in the winds and rain that we had. I wore my mineral foundation and bit of lipstick, didn't go with eye shadow. After completing the run I checked out my foundation and despite the weather and a lot of perspiration on my face, my foundation had stayed in place and hadn't gone patchy. A bit of dabbing with a paper towel and it looked pretty normal. I think a quick going over with some more powder once my face had cooled down and was nicely dry and I'd be ready to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment