Pages

Tuesday 7 May 2013

Zombie Apocalypse

I'm a very fair skinned person which means that sadly I burn easily in the sun. I don't tan easily instead I end up looking like a cooked lobster which eventually fades to something that looks like I've not washed for a week.
In fact my normal colour is not quite undead pale but not far off. In fact if there was a zombie apocalypse then with the addition of some fake bruises and blood then I could probably pass quite happily amongst the legions of the Undead.

Over the years I've learned painfully that I really, really, really must wear suntan lotion when out in the sun. Now that I'm having laser and electrolysis to remove hair I've finally learned that lesson and I don't go out without suncream on my face, underneath my make-up at the very least. Yesterday was no exception as it was probably the hottest and sunniest day that we've had in the UK this year.
As we'd been at my parents all weekend and were traveling back home via my other half's Aunt and Uncle's place and I was going to be dropping them off there and going off to do my own thing for an hour or two I dressed for the weather. A pair of jeans, as I don't have any shorts yet and I'm still working up to wearing them as I've always hidden my legs away due to my dysphoria and them being too hairy before I started having them waxed, shaved or epilated.
On top I wore a camisole top and a see-through, long-sleeved blouse. Big mistake I learned.
It normally takes about 2 hours to drive between my parents and home. Yesterday was no exception but of course I added an hour of sitting in a park near to my other half's family's house. It was lovely enjoying the sunshine.
We got home at a reasonable time and as the house was warm, we'd left our central heating system on and all the windows were shut so between the heating system and the weather it was quite warm. Even with the windows open it was still warm so my jeans were exchanged for a skirt and off came the blouse.

At that point I discovered the drawback to see-through blouses. It would seem that if you allow the sun to beat down on you for almost 3 hours straight and you've not applied suntan lotion then you still burn. Only on one side though because of where the sun ends up being when you drive a car in the UK heading in a southerly direction. Yup, my right arm has a lovely red patch all the way down the outside of it from where it was in the full glare of the sun. The rest of me is fine.

At least that's one new thing I've learned about being a woman this weekend.

Oh and in case there is a zombie apocalypse here's some advice from Team Unicorn on handling it.


4 comments:

  1. you had me at zombie apocalypse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my favorite Team Unicorn videos.

      Delete
  2. I classify my natural pallor as post-cadaverous. I am so pale people use my chest to white balance their cameras. (Pre-transition, needless to say.) Think piece of chalk dipped in Miracle Whip, topped off with a dash of brown mustard (for my hair). In other words... I am REALLY pale. :-p

    Good luck with the sunburn!!!

    == Cass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK that is pale. Had to Google Miracle Whip as it's not something we get in the UK, at least I've learned something today :-)

      Oh the saga of the toe continues. Saw one of the doctors at my local surgery yesterday and it seems that I've broken my little toe. Have it strapped to the next one. Not allowed to run until mid June, can still swim and cycle fortunately.

      Delete