Pages

Wednesday 31 October 2012

The man in my life

Now that we have a car again going to burlesque classes is once again something that I can do.
Yesterday was the first time in months that I went to the Advanced Lab at Pink Kitten. It was great to catch up with old friends and meet some new people.
However, that was just the end of a great day and a fabulous trip to Bristol.

One of the main reasons that I went to Bristol was to pop into Evans Cycles in Broadmead. They stock Louis Garneau cycling clothing and I'm in the process of ordering a LG monaco, effectively a cycling/triathlon top, to wear when I'm doing triathlons next year. My only problem is that I needed to double check the size before I part with my pennies.

So up to Bristol I went, allowing enough time for me to make my way to Evans Cycles, find one of the tops and try it on as well as possibly some cycling shorts and then head over to Pink Kitten's new studio.

When I eventually found the shop it wasn't very busy but looked like a great place to get bikes and cycling gear. I had a browse around the clothing section before deciding that I wasn't going to find what I wanted on my own and going and finding one of the staff that wasn't dealing with a customer.

I explained what I was looking for and he took me over to where I'd already been looking. As I tried to explain what I was looking for he showed me to the LG tops and pointed out the cycling jerseys. As we chatted he asked me what exactly it was that he was looking for. I realised that he thought that I was buying the top for a boyfriend, partner or husband.

Well what could I do, I had to go along with it and said he was doing triathlons next year and wanted some tops and shorts that were suitable for long distances. The chap showed me where I could find everything that was suitable and then left me to browse.

After that conversation there was no way that I could ask if I could try on a top to get an idea of fit and so I picked a cycling jersey in the size I was planning on getting and also a pair of cycling shorts (they had a sale on because they are swapping over to winter gear) and took those to the till to pay. The same chap served me and was friendly and efficient.

Now either he was being extremely respectful, they've had transgendered individuals go in before or he really didn't realise that I was transgendered and thought I was female. I'm not under any illusions but whatever reason it certainly boosted my self-esteem and left me feeling really happy about my experience and perfectly happy to go there again when I need anything for cycling and I'm in Bristol.

And the top, well the large is a little bit roomy which means I can fit another layer underneath it if I need to when its particularly cold. It also has a bit of room for me to grow into as I develop up top so its something that I'll get plenty of wear out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment