Pages

Saturday 9 November 2013

Waiting

In January it will be two years since I transitioned. Two years of RLE completed :-)
Earlier this year the rules that the NHS  use for gender reassignment surgery changed so that you only need a single year of RLE before you are eligible for surgery. So as of April I was eligible to get my second opinion and then surgery.
I've always said that I'm looking at surgery at the end of next year. Mostly because it wasn't fair to distract my son with something like that during the year that he will be taking his GCSE examinations but also because my father-in-law has terminal cancer and I need to be there for my wife when he passes and she doesn't need the addition stress of me undergoing major surgery.

Father-in-law is still alive, which is something that even the doctors didn't think would be the case two years ago when he had surgery and I'm grateful for that because it gave me the chance to tell him that I can't think of anyone else that I'd rather have had as a father-in-law.

Still as I watch some of the other women from the Laurels GIC preparing for their own GRS I feel frustrated that I have another 6 months to go before I will be asking to have my own second opinion so that I can set the date for my own surgery.

6 months more of waiting patiently. Deep breath and sigh. Soon babycakes, not much longer until your complete.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment